To be completely honest, I don't really understand the first piece because it really just looks like scribble but it could just be that it is in contrast to the second piece which i really like because i think the scribbled look is elevated to a piece of art that really stands out. The brightness and depth of the line really stands out against the black chalkboard and the piece looks like fireworks to me. It looks like Cy Tombly was scribbling across the night sky. I love the uniformity of the line yet also the chaos of it at the same time. I do like that the first piece looks like there are mistakes in the uniformity of the line yet he just leaves it like it is despite how easy it would be to erase because it is a chalkboard. It makes it seem like Tombly was just inspired to make that certain scribble.
By not actually drawing a subject that everyone can recognize and just painting lines, I can get a greater understanding of the emotion and feeling Tombly wanted to get across to the viewers. A lot can be conveyed through one line and its shape, texture, repetitiveness, etc. and I think the paintings use only what Tombly thought essential to depict what he wanted.
2 comments:
To be completely honest, I don't really understand the first piece because it really just looks like scribble but it could just be that it is in contrast to the second piece which i really like because i think the scribbled look is elevated to a piece of art that really stands out. The brightness and depth of the line really stands out against the black chalkboard and the piece looks like fireworks to me. It looks like Cy Tombly was scribbling across the night sky. I love the uniformity of the line yet also the chaos of it at the same time. I do like that the first piece looks like there are mistakes in the uniformity of the line yet he just leaves it like it is despite how easy it would be to erase because it is a chalkboard. It makes it seem like Tombly was just inspired to make that certain scribble.
By not actually drawing a subject that everyone can recognize and just painting lines, I can get a greater understanding of the emotion and feeling Tombly wanted to get across to the viewers. A lot can be conveyed through one line and its shape, texture, repetitiveness, etc. and I think the paintings use only what Tombly thought essential to depict what he wanted.
Post a Comment