Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kate Bingaman-Burt





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how there's no variation in line quality- they're all the same weight/thickness, like she's very even-handed. But at the same time, the lines are sort of wobbly, with a childish feel. It makes for a bold contrast. I love her concept as well! It reminds me of how overwhelming it was to shop for college stuff because there's so much marketing and consumerism aimed at "dorm life."
-Jess Daniels

nisha mirani said...

Her art demonstrates the importance of lines in drawing even simple objects. Moreover, the wobbly lines, which seem intentional, add character to the objects and make them more personal, rather than take away from the artistic skill and polish.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the drawings give a childish and playful tone and the wobbliness of the lines and simplicity of the style make for a very interesting approach to a personal style. She definately is able to add her own character to the objects she draws, even her receipt, just through her line style, which is interesting because her lines are so simple!

Unknown said...

I too concur with Jess's statement on how the lines give the works a childish feel. I personally love how she can take things that are so ordinary like a shoe or a receipt and transform them into her own art work just by the way she draws her lines. Her use of bold, wobbly lines gives her work a distinct feel and helps portray herself and her message.

onlove said...

These drawings make me think of the time I questioned something as art and my professor looked at me and said, "would you do it?" I like that, as people have said before, there's almost a childish feel to the drawings. I think it's interesting that she's taken things, (receipts, etc.) that either we throw away or only look at as part of an outfit, etc., and has shifted the focus completely towards them. I like that she kept the drawing simplistic as well because I think you're less caught in the work and more in the overall piece.