Again, I tend to just go with what catches my eye, and this is one of the strangest and most interesting pieces I have ever seen. At first glance it looks like an experiment gone wrong the likes of which Frankenstein would squirm at. But as I looked closer it was the same body under each animal head with slight alterations made to each body, but they are generally the same. Then, upon even further inspection, the bodies began looking very familiar. I thought to myself, "That looks like Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano". This comes as a shock to no one I'm sure given the name of the piece, but whether its one boxer, or several from that era, its obvious the body shots come from the Louis Marciano era given the poses. I wonder what Dzama is trying to say with the animal heads. Something else I really liked was how some of the bodies took on the attributes of their animal heads (ie fur or stripes). This is just a really cool piece and has pushed me to look up more from Dzama.
1 comment:
Again, I tend to just go with what catches my eye, and this is one of the strangest and most interesting pieces I have ever seen. At first glance it looks like an experiment gone wrong the likes of which Frankenstein would squirm at. But as I looked closer it was the same body under each animal head with slight alterations made to each body, but they are generally the same. Then, upon even further inspection, the bodies began looking very familiar. I thought to myself, "That looks like Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano". This comes as a shock to no one I'm sure given the name of the piece, but whether its one boxer, or several from that era, its obvious the body shots come from the Louis Marciano era given the poses. I wonder what Dzama is trying to say with the animal heads. Something else I really liked was how some of the bodies took on the attributes of their animal heads (ie fur or stripes). This is just a really cool piece and has pushed me to look up more from Dzama.
-Giancarlo Barriocanal
Post a Comment